Road trip to Mexico…sounds crazy right? It actually was an easy drive from Phoenix. About 4 hours to be exact. The border is closed from midnight to 6am. I would recommend driving during the day. It’s safer anyways.
What you need?
- Mexican car insurance
- Always carry Mexican auto insurance on you (keep a copy in a safe place – away from your car). If you need to purchase Mexican car insurance before your trip, click here!
- Passport (obviously!)
You are allowed $75 USD tax free in new merchandise per person.
– Items for personal use such as clothing, shoes and toiletries according to the length of your stay.
– One (1) photographic or motion video camera, including a power source and rolls of film or video cassettes. (No professional equipment.)
– Books and magazines.
– One (1) used sports article or piece of equipment for individual use which can be transported by 1 person.
– Two (2) cartons of cigarettes or 100 cigars.
– Three (3) liters (appx. 3 quarts) of wine or Alcohol (including beer) per person if the passenger is an adult (21 or older).
– Medicine for personal use (with your prescription).
More questions? Click here for more information about Puerto Penasco customs.
Where we stayed?
We rented a villa for 11 people. It came out to $167 USD per person for three nights. This is for sure less than I would spend out at the bars for New Years 😉
Check out the website here. Las Palmas was easy to find and close to the beach. I would recommend it because it’s safe (all guests are required to wear wristbands).
Things to do in Rocky Point
Check out the website here for more detailed information here from whale watching to ATVing to night life.
We walked down the street from our resort and got two quads for $100 per hour. We had 6 people so only $16 per person. So cheap! There’s also a bar right by called Banditos that we watched the Fiesta Bowl and spent New Years Eve at.
If you an looking for an affordable road trip this is it! I’ll definitely go back for a long weekend at “Arizona’s beach”. It’s super Americanized.